Would Churchill's early death have made any differenc?

Feb 2018
Oxfordshire
Most of what I have found on Churchill eulogises him as the leader that saved Britain from the Nazis but would the end result of the Second World War have been any different were he to have died in August 1939?

Nov 2013
NM
Good question, but not my area

Was Churchill the indispensable man in UK in Aug. 1939CE? That's a tough question, & I haven't read in on who the alternatives would have been, absent Churchill.

Who would have been a plausible replacement, if Churchill had become unavailable?

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Was Churchill the indispensable man in UK in Aug. 1939CE? That's a tough question, & I haven't read in on who the alternatives would have been, absent Churchill.

Who would have been a plausible replacement, if Churchill had become unavailable?
Chamberlain?

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
In April 1940 with the failure of the Allies to prevent the invasion of Norway by the German’s, and with the other political parties stating that they would not join a wartime coalition under him, Chamberlain decided to step down from his position as PM.
At that time there were only two people in the running for the role, Churchill and Halifax, and Halifax was the most popular of the two within the Conservative party, but Halifax got cold feet about the role and turned it down, enabling Churchill to assume the position of PM.
However, if Churchill was not in the running it is quite possible to my mind that Halifax might have felt compelled to take on the role.
If Halifax had been PM it is entirely possible that the UK would have sought a peace treaty with Germany, as Halifax was in favour of doing so during the discussions within the British war cabinet on the course of action to take when it was clear that France was totally defeated and was going to sue for peace.

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
Chamberlain was weak and sought appeasement with Germany. He sided with the former King.
It was Chamberlain who set up the treaty to defend Poland from Germany in April 1939, and he was the PM who declared war on Germany in September 1939 when they attacked Poland, and in the discussions of May 1940 he supported Churchill's stance of not seeking a peace treaty with Germany.

May 2018
USA
Most of what I have found on Churchill eulogises him as the leader that saved Britain from the Nazis but would the end result of the Second World War have been any different were he to have died in August 1939?
Probably not. Everybody loves Churchill, including myself, but he was largely just a "morale" booster. He wasn't making strategic military decisions (learned his mistake with Gallipoli in WW1). As soon as the USSR and USA entered the war, the result was pretty much carved in stone. The only question would be if the Axis could resist well enough to avoid unconditional surrender. They didn't, btw.

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
Probably not. Everybody loves Churchill, including myself, but he was largely just a "morale" booster. He wasn't making strategic military decisions (learned his mistake with Gallipoli in WW1). As soon as the USSR and USA entered the war, the result was pretty much carved in stone. The only question would be if the Axis could resist well enough to avoid unconditional surrender. They didn't, btw.
Churchill was a politician, and that's the sphere where he achieved greatness.
If not for Churchill there is every chance that the UK would have sought peace in 1940, and if they had it would have dramatically altered the outcome of WW2.
With no two-front war and access to ample oil supplies and raw materials, there is every chance that Hitler's invasion of the SU would have succeeded.