Would you want an NHS?

How should health care be treated

• 1) a human right provided for by the government and paid for with tax dollars

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • 2) not a right but the government should play a role in making health care affordable and available

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • 3) up to the individual and private charity and in no way a right

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4) we live till we die , why not make free ice cream a right?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dec 2018
New England
School choice! Do you mean segregation choice? Because according to stats of the last 10 years, American schools are more segregated now than they were when school integration first began. So, many parents exercise their 'choice' by putting their kids into segregated charter and private schools...yeah for choice!

And then there's the problem of what to do with the 'refuse'....the kids who don't qualify for admission to the charter school, which can pick and choose who it takes/who it does not!

Third objection: THE MONEY! Private interests...like America's sec. of education for one, have profited immensely by taking "vouchers" from public taxes to educate students in their schools, and find freeenterprizing ways to turn a profit...a big profit in fact! It's bad enough having a gross disparity in the amount of money available for public education because school taxes are collected from local county governments, but making educating children the kind of profit-driven enterprize advanced college and university education has become provides one more avenue for private interests to grind us all down for profits!
I see you've been well armed with teachers' union talking points.

I cannot speak to the charter systems in 49 of the 50 states. I can speak to the public charter system in MA both as a parent of charter students and as someone who as done a considerable amount of homework on the subject. The accusations you are making, at least in MA, are demonstrably false. There are over a dozen different studies published on MA charters that show they educate all kinds of students, and especially poorer minority students, better than do the state's traditional public schools. Admission criteria other than town of residence is illegal. The charge of forced attrition is similarly bogus here, as is the "for profit" nonsense (all MA charters are non-profit organizations).

As a system, the public charter schools in MA are far superior to MA traditional public schools (which are, BTW, among the top public trad systems in the nation).

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
We can debate what "hybrid" in this context means until the cows come home. Where government decides, as with the ACA, who can sell, what must be sold, what cannot be sold, what prices should be charged, who can and cannot buy which item, and who must buy which item then a "market" does not exist in any meaningful sense of the term.
Unfortunately for your view then, if a nation wants to provide a health system that covers all of it’s citizens it cannot allow the system to be a free market, as without government interference large segments of the population would be unable to access the health care they need.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Unfortunately for your view then, if a nation wants to provide a health system that covers all of it’s citizens it cannot allow the system to be a free market, as without government interference large segments of the population would be unable to access the health care they need.
AND then....see how easily the survival of the fittest squeezes in? LOL

Dec 2016
Canada
I see you've been well armed with teachers' union talking points.

I cannot speak to the charter systems in 49 of the 50 states. I can speak to the public charter system in MA both as a parent of charter students and as someone who as done a considerable amount of homework on the subject. The accusations you are making, at least in MA, are demonstrably false. There are over a dozen different studies published on MA charters that show they educate all kinds of students, and especially poorer minority students, better than do the state's traditional public schools. Admission criteria other than town of residence is illegal. The charge of forced attrition is similarly bogus here, as is the "for profit" nonsense (all MA charters are non-profit organizations).

As a system, the public charter schools in MA are far superior to MA traditional public schools (which are, BTW, among the top public trad systems in the nation).
I've never been a teacher, but a lot of union members will have similar talking points, as will many parents and students who've been shafted by the privatization of public education. There is a reason why Betsy De Vos and others have gotten rich off of the school takeover. They have to do some cost-cutting to make those profits.

Dec 2018
New England
Not true. We haven’t had to nationalize the food or housing industries. A subsidy to low income consumers allows them to participate in a market without government warping that market.