Yelling ‘I hate white women’ while punching one magically isn’t a hate crime

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Apparently hate laws only work one way…

On November 1st, a woman ironically named Lydia White was outside a Calgary pub when a woman asked her for a cigarette. White gave the woman the cigarette, but the woman’s friend Tamara Crowchief walked up to White yelling “I hate white people” and hit her in the face, knocking a tooth out.
Crowchief walked away, but White followed her and called the police. During her arrest, Crowchief (who is Native American) told police that “the white man was out to get her.”
But The Calgary Herald reports that Judge Harry Van Harten did not buy the Crown’s theory that the attack was a hate crime, clearing Crowchief of that charge.“There is no evidence either way about what the offender meant or whether… she holds or promotes an ideology which would explain why this assault was aimed at this victim,” he said. “I am not satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that this offence was, even in part, motivated by racial bias.”
(read more)
Court Rules Yelling ?I Hate White Women? And Punching White Woman Isn?t Hate Crime | Mediaite

Court: Yelling ?I Hate White Women? While Punching a White Woman Magically Isn?t a Hate Crime | The Daily Sheeple

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
So, what do American Hate crime laws have to do with Canada? Calgary is in Canada, is it not?
what the hell are you babbling about?

are you sundowning already?

The Criminal Code of Canada says a hate crime is committed to intimidate, harm or terrify not only a person, but an entire group of people to which the victim belongs. The victims are targeted for who they are, not because of anything they have done.

A hate crime is one in which hate is the motive and can involve intimidation, harassment, physical force or threat of physical force against a person, a group or a property

si-ns-cross-photo-220
Two Nova Scotia men were convicted under Canada's hate crime laws in relation to a cross-burning incident on the lawn of an interracial couple in Windsor, N.S. The photo is from the RCMP. ((CBC))

In Canada it is also a crime to incite hatred. Sections 318 and 319 are the relevant sections of the Criminal Code.

Under Section 318, it is a criminal act to "advocate or promote genocide" — to call for, support, encourage or argue for the killing of members of a group based on colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation.
What is a hate crime? - Canada - CBC News

Reactions: 2 people

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
what the hell are you babbling about?

are you sundowning already?

What is a hate crime? - Canada - CBC News
According to the Calgary Herald report linked to in the post link, the judge ruled that the fact that this crime was aimed at white people in general was not proven. More sloppy prosecutorial work.

Also, the perp was a Canadian First Nations person, not an American as was stated in the OP.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
According to the Calgary Herald report linked to in the post link, the judge ruled that the fact that this crime was aimed at white people in general was not proven. More sloppy prosecutorial work.

Also, the perp was a Canadian First Nations person, not an American as was stated in the OP.
yeah, i figured she was "first nations" who are still "native americans"