YEP! Crops Rotting in the Fields

Apr 2013
La La Land North
I think, I hope, at the very least family farms will survive as a niche market.

All those wonderful tomatoes produced by those wonderful harvesting machines have one characteristic in common: They all are tasteless. The star of the automated harvest program are those absolutely tasteless Roma tomatoes that are always on sale. Jesus, they're red, and when cut open look like a tomato on the inside.

Their tomato characteristics end there.

So, mechanical, chemical-based agriculture creates a gaping niche for a creative farmer to fill. And they do. I support 'em whenever I can, and other local agricultural producers, like the egg lady.

What's better tasting than a real egg?? Nada!!!!! B)
The new thing is that massive egg farms now put dye in the feed to give the egg yolk a bright color. The color that free range chickens will produce when they get to eat the odd bug and some grass and such.

Those too have some much more taste. But at least you can now get the right color from the mass market eggs. Big wow.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
The new thing is that massive egg farms now put dye in the feed to give the egg yolk a bright color. The color that free range chickens will produce when they get to eat the odd bug and some grass and such.

Those too have some much more taste. But at least you can now get the right color from the mass market eggs. Big wow.
About a year ago, "true" free range eggs began appearing in the local supermarkets, $4/doz on sale, $6/doz not. Killer eggs. And then, the local sources, really happy free-ranging hens, friendly ladies, awesome eggs.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
About a year ago, "true" free range eggs began appearing in the local supermarkets, $4/doz on sale, $6/doz not. Killer eggs. And then, the local sources, really happy free-ranging hens, friendly ladies, awesome eggs.
The going price for free range eggs at the local farmer's markets is $5.00/doz. But they are delicious!

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I know a number of people who do it. It is surprising more people don't do it.
It's pretty easy. I've taken care of hens for traveling friends. Even where I live where temps will be in the -30s every winter, or colder, a roost warm enough of rthe girls isn't that hard to construct.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio

From one old chicken farmer to another, you know free range chickens eat bugs. Old saying, "Like a chicken on a June bug." No blood spot (fertilized egg) in factory chicken yokes. If the blood spot disturbs you just cut it out.