Zelenskiy: ‘To all former Soviet countries – look at us, everything is possible’

Oct 2010
Colorado
Yes, yes, yes, in - according to one of DTT's self-proclaimed experts on Ukraine - the nazi state of Ukraine, the nazi state instituted by the US, the nazi state that discriminated against Ukrainian Russian speakers and Ukrainian Jews, a Russian-speaking Jew has been elected president ... by a landslide.

He toppled the first post-Maidan president, Petro Poroshenko, elected in 2014, who promised everything, an end to corruption, ending the war "in two weeks." He even promised to sell off his business holdings in Russia. **correction** Poroshenko's Russian candy factory closed in 2017, and, he has put his business into a .... cough, cough .... blind trust.

Ukraine is more corrupt than ever, the war is ongoing, and Petro still owns his Russian candy factories and sells his wares in Moscow.

Zellenskiy's previous experience? He's a comedian. He played a history teacher who became president.

Zelenskiy: ‘To all former Soviet countries – look at us, everything is possible’
Comedic actor Volodymyr Zelenskiy is about to become Ukraine’s sixth president.​
The official results of the April 21 election are not yet in. But several exit polls predict an overwhelming victory for Zelenskiy.​
The political newcomer will receive 73 percent of the vote, while incumbent President Petro Poroshenko will only take around 23 percent, according to preliminary results of the National Exit Poll. That margin of victory — 48 percent — will be the largest in the history of Ukrainian presidential elections.​
...“Thank you to all Ukrainians who supported me. Thank you to all Ukrainians who made a different choice,” he said. “I promise that I will never fail you.”​
“...While I’m not yet president, I can say this as a Ukrainian citizen. To all post-Soviet countries: look at us. Everything is possible,” he said.​

Read more: Zelenskiy: 'To all former Soviet countries - look at us, everything is possible' | KyivPost - Ukraine's Global Voice

Last edited:
Oct 2010
Colorado
Several outlets are reporting that Poroshenko has conceded.
He has. Exit polling had Zellenskiy leading 3-1.

Poroshenko likely is facing prosecution over corruption as his personal wealth has increase substantially since he took office, while Ukraine's economy in general has floundered terribly. In Friday's presidential debate, Zellenskiy said to Poroshenko, "I'm not your opponent. I'm your sentence."

Sep 2017
Hell
He has. Exit polling had Zellenskiy leading 3-1.

Poroshenko likely is facing prosecution over corruption as his personal wealth has increase substantially since he took office, while Ukraine's economy in general has floundered terribly. In Friday's presidential debate, Zellenskiy said to Poroshenko, "I'm not your opponent. I'm your sentence."
You sure about that? His products were banned in Russia.

Oct 2010
Colorado
You sure about that? His products were banned in Russia.
You are correct, since 2017 when the the Roshen factory in Lipetsk, Russia, closed. However, it's Russia, and the candies are available on the black market according to my wife's Russian relatives. ;)

Oct 2010
Colorado
The Russian politicians on the state channel Sunday news roundtables are unglued

A big face in Russian politics, Vladimir Zhirinovsky, on “the” state channel on “the” news discussion program hosted by Putin's longtime bud Vladimir Solovyov, just ranted that all Ukrainians should die, that they should all go to hell, they don’t know how to run an election, that “we” invested so much in Ukraine, that they don’t really have anything that we didn’t give them, that they are traitors and Ukraine isn’t really a country.

Zhirinovsky bellowed, why didn't they tell us, we thought Ukraine would be burning, we were told there would be another Maidan!!!!! He's referring to the popular opinion expressed by the Kremlin's "journalists" that either Poroshenko's or Zelenskiy's supporters would not accept the election results, and would protest with mass demonstrations.

On the same program, a serious discussion was had on whether Russia should accept the election results. Solovyov summed up the sentiment: absolutely not.

Oct 2010
Colorado
Zelenskiy did say, "While I’m not yet president, I can say this as a Ukrainian citizen. To all post-Soviet countries: look at us. Everything is possible.”

Russia is a post-Soviet country.

That's probably what's got the Russian aristocracy all fired up.